It’s that time of year again to mark your calendars as the open enrollment period for the Health Insurance Marketplace is right around the corner. For the 2016 year, enrollment periods begin November 1, 2015 and run through January 31, 2016. Health care overages will be effective January 1, 2016 once your application has been approved.
What you can do to be ready for Open Enrollment
- Gather social security numbers for everyone living in your household. This includes you, your spouse, children who live with you (even if they file a tax return themselves), anyone you claim as a dependent, anyone under 21 who you take care of and lives with you, and your unmarried partner. (An unmarried partner must be either the parent of your child or your dependent for tax purposes or both.)
- Have your most tax return available. If you are married you will be asked if you file jointly or separately as well as who you claimed as a tax dependent. They will also ask you several questions about your income which can usually be found on your W-2 form . Additional income sources you may need for your application would be social security payments, alimony, retirement, or any other taxable income.
- Policy Numbers – If anyone listed on your application currently has health insurance you will be required to provide policy numbers as proof.
- Employer Information – You’ll be asked to supply employer information for each person listed on your application regardless if they have health insurance coverage through work or not.
- Immigration Documentation will be required for anyone with legal immigrant status.
- Get additional help if needed. If you have questions or need assistance, contact our office for help with your specific situation.
It is extremely helpful to have all your information ready and to answer the questions as accurately as possible. This will ensure that your application gets processed in a timely manner and reduce the chances of being asked to provide more information or documentation. Don’t forget to get these documents together so you can apply during open enrollment from November 1, 2015 to January 31, 2016.